Saturday, November 10, 2012

This Week's Musings

After spending 24 hours on the road, I thought I would take a little time to share just some of the things which ran through my mind. That much time on the road tends to give a certain perspective on things.
So, now in no particular order are some profound (and not so profound thoughts:

Order from Amazon
here
  • Somewhere I read that in New Jersey, many people feel that is is "cruel and unusual" punishment to hunt, after all those poor deer aren't hurting anyone. Leaving all thoughts about hunting aside, wouldn't you think that hitting a deer with an eighteen wheeler would cause a deer more suffering that a well placed bullet? Just wondering. 
  • Speaking of hunting, I have to admit that I do find it somewhat bizarre that there are advertising banners on liquor stores "Welcoming hunters". Somehow I think alcohol and guns aren't a good combination. Much like alcohol and snowmobiles, where we see the same signs in Maine. 
  • Life is what you make it - I am always struck whenever I have to patronize a convenience store, gas station or coffee shop, how there are two kinds of people who work there. There are those who actually want to be there, and those who don't. Some make no secret that you are annoying them and ruining their day, while others don't. This is irrespective of age, race, sex or gender. 
  • If you want to really throw someone for a loop at 3:30 in the morning, be cheerful and happy. Most people don't know how to handle this. Of course I suppose this holds true for people any time of the day since so many people just can't seem to bring themselves to be happy. Smile and make people wonder what you are up to. 
  • You couldn't pay me enough money to be a cop working the midnight shift on some lonely road in the middle of nowhere. middle of it. 
  • Speaking of which, is there really a "middle of nowhere"? After all if you you are in a place, you are somewhere aren't you? If you are somewhere you can't be nowhere, especially in the middle of it. Think about it. 
  • Here's a joke for you: A man walks into a bar. "Ouch"
  • At a gas station the other morning, predawn, someone asked me why I wasn't prepaying since it was after dark. I had to patiently explain that there is no such thing as after-dark, there is only before light. After awhile you do get used to the strange looks you get in the middle of the night. 
Not sure where I'll be heading this week or what fleeting thoughts will cross my mind, but you can be sure that you will be the first to hear about them. Or maybe the second.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Thanks for reading my blog and I appreciate your comments.