Monday, October 29, 2012

Battening Down the Hatches

So far Buttons the Wonder Dog, the cats and I have weathered the storm. We still have power, the house was shaken but not stirred, and so far all is good.
While there are still a few hours to go, this isn't the worst storm I have been through here in the little house on the lake. The Tornado which passed by here last year was certainly scarier than this. The difference being with the tornado, you really didn't know what was happening. It just got still and quiet, the dog went nuts , hail came down the size of golf balls and I didn't have any place to go.. fortunately it missed me, although many others weren't as lucky.

Today, was much more manageable. I heard a few trees come down although I am not sure where they were other than behind me. The wind came from the north most of the day, which is good for me since I have a hill blocking me from that side. The lake had what i call the Lake Ontario look to it. Once I was travelling in the Rochester, NY, area and it was cold and windy and as I drove near Lake Ontario, it was steel grey with white caps. Since then, when that happens I call it the Lake Ontario look. There is also the Mississippi look, the Okefenokee Swamp look and the Atlantic Ocean look.

I was supposed to work last night, taking a trip to Richmond, VA, fortunately my boss had second thoughts and I didn't have to go. I had visions of being stuck down in Jersey, unable to get home because there would be no power or gas available.

Now, I admit I haven't accomplished a whole lot today. I did learn something though, it is possible for each of the local news stations to broadcast for at least 16 hours (and counting) about only one thing. Granted they are saying the same thing over and over, but they have stayed at it. It is also interesting how each station takes a different tact, some tend to sensationalize more than others. But I have to tell you, you can only show so many pictures of waves crashing on the beach.

So that's it for now. Perhaps I'll report later on if conditions change. Of course if they change for the worse and I lose power I won't be able to report much of anything, but we'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my blog and I appreciate your comments.