Monday, October 1, 2012

Will Work For Food

Week 2 of my unemployment has begun and while I think it was the right thing to do I am not sure it was the right time. There are not a lot of jobs out there for a fifty something year-old with a bad back.

Here is a list of realizations I have come to in the last week though:
  • When you sit down and write a resume it is amazing how many different things I have done in my life. I am referring to job skills, not necessarily places I have worked, that hasn't been all that many. I have managed, butchered, driven, delivered, towed, programmed, audited, written, taught, investigated, traveled, fought fires, tended to the sick and was thrown out of a union. (The last part isn't included in the resume). 
  • It is hard to live up to the fact that you can't do the physical things you used to do anymore, which could limit my prospects immensely. 
  • When one has spent the last thirteen years always working outside of an office it is hard to face the prospect of having to go back to working inside one again. 
  • What was I thinking anyway?
  • Trying to work on the computer with a cat on the keyboard is a challenge. 
Order from Amazon
here


Now the question is will I find a job? Will I find work I can do from home? Will I find some type of writing gig? Can I turn any of this experience into some kind of home based business? These are the questions I need to work on the answers to.

In the meantime I have sucked it up and applied for unemployment but I am not sure I will qualify, I should know in a couple of weeks. Being of the conservative mindset I have done my share of complaining about those who live off the government, but I don't tend to make it a career. Well not yet anyway. Who knows, I might like it and turn into a Democrat.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my blog and I appreciate your comments.