Saturday, January 21, 2012

With Age Comes Wisdom

After the birth of my fourth Grandchild on Thanksgiving Day, I have been thinking a lot about something I learned a long time ago: "As you get older, your parents get smarter." I suppose this goes for grandparents as well. The problem with grandparents however, is when you are ready to learn from them, they may be gone.

My oldest granddaughter is seven going on 25, and by the time she realizes how smart I really am, who's to say I will be able to impart my wisdom and knowledge onto her? After all I may think it's' 1974 when it/s 2030, who know?


If I try to impart my wisdom on her now, she will look at me the same way I am sure I looked at my grandfather and say to herself, "What does he know, he's old?" What so many of us learn as we travel this road of life is that with age comes wisdom. Our children and grandchildren don't understand this fundamental truth. They don't understand that we have been down all the same roads they are heading down. True there are some differences in things like technology, we didn't have computers and social networking which bring up some interesting issues, but the principles are all the same.

Order this book
from Amazon
here
I worry about the state of this world today and am very afraid of what is in the future. I worry becasue we seem to losing the moral compass we once had, where everything was in black and white, we knew what was right and wrong. Today everything is either grey or upside down. Many of us are led around like sheep, with no one to help us sort fact from fiction, up from down, truth from lies. This is what worries me about my grandchildren.

Not that they haven't got good parents, I did the best I could and they came out all right for the most part, but I made some mistakes, some bad decisions which I know I can't change, but wish I could. I don't want them to make the same mistakes, the same bad decisions as I did.

There is an old saying, "If I knew then, what I know now..." and how true that is. So how do I impart my wisdom and knowledge of life to my grandchildren? That is the question.

"Happy is the man who finds wisdom, and the man who gets understanding, for the gain from it is better than silver and its profit is better than gold." - Proverbs 3: 13 - 14

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my blog and I appreciate your comments.