Sunday, January 15, 2012

Another Life Lesson from God

It's interesting how I have finally come to a point in my life where I realize there is much more to life than just "things" and "stuff". Maybe becasue for so long I haven't had much of anything, and i won't even claim it isn't my fault, but I have realized other things are more important.
My father, who I write about often in this blog, believed that, and now I finally see his point. The problem is for many that the perception is we have to have stuff to measure how successful we are. To them, happiness equals stuff.

Learn more about the
New Testament
here
I have learned I would rather be happy with what I have than to be constantly stressed about trying to get more and more, bigger and better things. I have a roof over my head, food on the table and a woman who I love and who loves me, what else does anyone truly need? Okay there is the dog. But even more than that I have realized that it is more important to have God in my life.

This revelation came to me maybe six or seven months ago when I had an accident at work and I thought it was the end. Obviously it wasn't since I am writing this now, but I couldn't believe i wasn't killed ro really even hurt. I understood there was some reason i was still here and that someone was watching out for me, for whatever reason. Instead of being the end for me, it was the beginning.


One thing I began doing that night was reading the Bible, interestingly enough the one that was given to me when my father died. Now we can argue for days on whether the Bible is fact or fiction, whether it was written by God or not and even whether there is a God. I know what I believe and that is all that matters to me. But the interesting thing about the Bible, no matter what you think about it, is it does speak to real life, even after all this time.

Last night i read this passage, Philippians 4: 11 - 13, and it describes me perfectly:

Not that I complain of want; for I have learned, in whatever state I am in, to be content. I know how to be abased, and I know how to abound; in ant and all circumstances I have learned the circumstances of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and want. I can do all things in him who strengthens me.
I wonder if my Dad ever read this

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my blog and I appreciate your comments.