Sunday, May 1, 2011

Remembering on May Day

May Day is always one of those days here at the little house on the lake where I get into one of those reminiscing modes. Today would  have been my parent's 63 anniversary and it is also the 11th anniversary of my Dad's passing. As he would say "That's a long time with the same damn woman.", but he wouldn't have changed it for the world.

As I have written before, I don't think it was by chance he died on their anniversary. She died four years before him and I think she wanted him to join her and was calling him to be with her. I am sure they are looking down on their kids and smiling, well other than my Mom and the thing with the bed, but then this is a family blog so I won't get into that here. I know they would be proud of their five grandchildren, the sixth being with them in heaven, and their ever growing brood of great grandchildren.

I have to consider myself as being pretty lucky. Their are a lot of people out there who don't have fond memories of their parents, they have only anger. My parents were far from perfect, they had their faults, alcoholism being the worst, but they were good to us, they taught us well. Like me or not, I owe who I am today to them and the things they taught me. But even their addiction taught me things.

So as I look out the window as the sun has come up, the west side of the lake is golden as the sun hits it, the lake is as smooth as glass, and as hard as life can be sometimes, my parents are looking down and smiling, knowing for the most part they did good.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my blog and I appreciate your comments.