Sunday, June 20, 2010

Sunday Drivers

I just got back from a Sunday Drive, my co-pilot and I headed out just to see where the road would take us. I like to do that every once in awhile, we grab the camera and see what we can find, which wasn't much today. I wish I could take the camera with me when I go to work as it always seems I find more interesting things when I am not trying to find them. Like life I guess.

To the right is my co-pilot, Buttons. That's the dog that made me a dog guy. This is outside where he wanted to stop for Ice Cream. As I mentioned before, my Dad owned a couple of small grocery stores. He used to remind me all the time that the customers weren't here for us, we were here for the customers. So often today when you go into...

a big box store, like say a Wal-Mart, you get the impression they would rather you not be there. Unfortunately this seems to be the norm these days, and I have come to expect it. But I don't expect it when I go to a small Mom and Pop type business, who should a.) know better and b.) should want me to patronize their establishment. But this is the attitude I got when we stopped at this little ice cream store today. I was pretty disappointed but I am one who speaks with my wallet and I won't be returning.

After the ice cream (Buttons had a caramel sundae with caramel caribou ice cream, whipped cream and M&M's, I had water) we went looking for something interesting to take a picture of. It wasn't a productive day, about all we found was this. Actually I almost missed it until Buttons pointed it out. I hope he (or she) ducked its head in when it began to storm about fifteen minutes after I snapped this photo.

A little while later we can upon a bit of nostalgia for me. As I said above, my Dad owned two small grocery stores and he was supplied by a company called "New England Grocers" based out of Worcester, MA. Their customers were all independent store owners (not chains) like my Dad, and I remember him having one of these signs on each of his stores. When I took this it had begun to storm. Every time I see this I think of my Dad. Well I think of him every day anyway but I think of the store, the Elm Market, when I see this. Hence the name of my Amazon store. I guess it was kind of fitting for me to come across this today, Father's day.

Happy Fathers Day to all the Dad's out there.

1 comment:

  1. There was a Baskin-Robbins completely on the other side of town that I would go to because the owner found the best kids to work in her place. They had a lively, helpful manner and made giving them tips easy.

    I don't think that necessarily Mom and Pop places have good customer service on lock down as much as it depends on the people at the top. Who you have working at your place of business and how you treat them makes all the difference in what you get out of them.

    May Ma and Pa ain't happy with their employees...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my blog and I appreciate your comments.