Thursday, October 23, 2008

On Falling Leaves

I’ve been thinking about trees today, actually the way the leaves turn here in New England in the fall. This autumn the leaves have actually been very colorful, very bright. I think it has to do with all the rain we had this summer. Last year, the leaves never really turned, they went from green to brown, due to the fact it was a very dry summer. This year they were very bright, very vivid.

As I sit here in the little house on the lake and look across the water, most of the leaves are brown, many have dropped, most in my yard it seems. It is interesting how they don’t all turn and drop at the same time. The first are always the birch trees. They go from green to yellow and are always the first trees to go bare. Then the maple tree turns, the one in my yard is a Norway Maple, sometimes called a Red Maple, it’s leaves are red all year so they don’t turn colors, just drop, in fact they very rarely ever turn brown. The last to go are the oak trees. They will turn yellow, sometimes red, mostly brown and then drop. They are the stubborn ones of the bunch. I have had some oak leaves holding onto their branches until after Thanksgiving.

I always think when the leaves change that they won’t be back. But they always come back every spring, some springs it seems to take a little longer, but they always come back and the cycle begins again.

There is still a lot of green across the lake. This is due to the pines, the evergreens, called evergreens because, you guessed it, they never change colors, they are always the same. I think of myself as an evergreen sometimes. I always stay the same, never really change. No that isn’t true, I am like the oak, it takes me a long time to change. But eventually I do.
It took me a long time to finally fall in love, deeply in love. I had to drop all my old leaves, my old attitudes, my old feelings. But I did, and now I am ready for my new leaves to grow, and grow they will, just like the oak leaves which always come back.

2 comments:

  1. I cannot begin to express how deeply happy I am for you. It is around this time last year I started following you, and man, what a difference a year makes!

    Congragulations to you and your lady! Don't know if you deserve it, but I will vouch for you having earned your shot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. liked reading the description of the leaves not only in the trees but in your life; glad things are going well

    I miss the colorful leaves; we don't get too many down here in So. Calif

    take care

    betty

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my blog and I appreciate your comments.