Tuesday, October 21, 2008

An Apple A Day

So yesterday I had to pleasure of making a delivery into the Big Apple, New York City. Fortunately I was only in a van and not in my straight truck, which I am sure if I had not been in the van my disposition would have been much different.

Now let me start by saying I grew up in a small town and now live in even a smaller town, so when I go into the big city I am still awestruck. I love the people, the buildings, the “business” of the city. I drive around and I just have to smile and laugh. There is this certain attitude with the people in New York, it’s like “Get out of my way and don’t f*** with me”, yet anytime I have needed help, directions, anything, they have been more than kind. I recently heard a story on the news about a survey of various cities throughout the world, and which city was the most helpful and friendly and New York was number 1 on the list which didn’t surprise me in the least.

I just find it funny when I drive around, people just walk across the streets without stopping if the “Don’t Walk” sign is flashing, they honk their horns even though they can see you can’t move, they glare at you when you look at them, but yet you ask for directions, unlike Boston, they will actually try to help you. In Boston it’s “I don’t know where that is” if they talk at all.

I had to make a delivery on Manhattan, to west 52nd street. I drover down 2nd avenue and I must have gone 25 blocks before I hit a red light. Ok this is the backwoods in me coming out but that just amazes me how if you go at exactly the right speed and stay in one of the two middle lanes you can drive the length of a major artery without stopping. Of course once you stop, you are all done, well depending on the time of day, I was there at 5 PM. The other thing that amazes me is how, even though there is a ton of traffic, it always keeps moving. You don’t see people weaving in and out of traffic, even on the expressways, they stay in their lanes and just go. You won’t see that in Boston, I can guarantee you that, its every man for himself and let’s see how many times we can change lanes.

I think we can all learn some things from New York City. For the most part people seem to get along there, they go about their business, they don’t mess with each other, and they actually do care about others.

But then I don’t live there.

2 comments:

  1. sounds like a good trip; it goes with my thinking that people are people no matter where they live; most try to be kind to others and help when they can; its refreshing to here this is actually going on

    take care of yourself

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one had me smiling from ear to ear! The things that you speak about in a big city are the things that I appreciate, but DO NOT MISS when I am not in one.

    The provencial town I once jogged 'round, the small spots in Carolina and Georgia, I enjoyed living there. Oh, though I have never been to Boston, most big city downtowns are friendly ... but away from the central business district of ANY TOWN, IMO, you take your chances.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my blog and I appreciate your comments.