R-E-S-P-E-C-T or Lack Thereof

An interesting thing happened on the way to the forum today. Okay, it wasn't actually the forum it was Dunkin Donuts. As I drove into the lot with my little red truck I parked in the handicap spot. when I realized this, I backed out and moved to a regular spot. There was another person in the lot who looked at me like I was crazy.  Now certainly I have received those looks before so I am used to them but it bothered me this person seemed so surprised I would do the right thing.

Made me feel kind of old actually. See I grew up in a time when kids were taught manners and respect. I still open doors for people and say "Thank-you" when they do the same for me. I still call people who were my parents friends Mr. and Mrs., same with any of my teachers who I might happen to meet. Of course some of them are still teaching which is kind of a scary thought, but then I won't get into the whole tenure thing. I have even been known to pick up trash I see on the sidewalk and I never litter on purpose. I can't say occasionally something hasn't flown out of my truck window but it isn't intentional.

It just makes me wonder what has happened. Listen to the way kids talk today. Yes, I admit I used to swear when I was a kid, but never in front of any adults and never, ever in front of my parents. No bar of soap in the mouth for me, no sir (although Ivory did have a nice flavor to it once you got used to it). Now it's nothing to hear profanity come from a young ones mouth, and they don't think twice about it. Why? Because the parents or in most cases, the parent, do it all the time in font of the kids.

I remember one time when I was doing the AAA thing in Ware and i was blocking in a car. Now I am a reasonable man and respectful of others and if I block in someone (unless I am loading or unloading and I can't) I will move my truck if I am asked to. This day as I was removing this tire from an elderly couples vehicle, behind me came this terrific roar. "What the bleep do you think you're bleeping doing? I got places to bleeping go and I can't bleeping wait for you to bleeping move." I turned around to find this woman with two kids, maybe 9 and 12 walking towards me, spewing venom. Did she ask me to move? Nope, just kept on cussing and hollering. My customer tried to explain to her he had a flat tire and I would move, but all she said was "Just because you're having a bad bleeping day doesn't mean you have to bleep mine up to. I'm going to the bleeping Police station (right next door) to get a bleeping cop. I'll bleeping take care of this." And off she stormed, her two little angels in tow.

By this time I had the tire off and since the spare was flat, I told the people I would be right back and I drove to a nearby service station to get some air. When I got back, I saw the cop leaving shaking his head. I laughed. So what's my point? Kids learn what they live. We wonder why they grow up to be disrespectful, just look at this example. I am sure these kids turned out no different than their lovely mother, who knows they could be in jail.
These icons link to social bookmarking sites where readers can share and discover new web pages.
  • Digg
  • Sphinn
  • del.icio.us
  • Facebook
  • Mixx
  • Google
  • Furl
  • Reddit
  • Spurl
  • StumbleUpon
  • Technorati

Leave a comment

Thanks for reading my blog and I appreciate your comments.