Sunday, July 4, 2010

One of the great mysteries of life

Here I am sitting by the lake reflecting on the meaning of life. Ok, not really, I am reflecting on much more important things than that. After all, if there is one thing I have learned in my life it's that you will never understand, nor figure out life and its meaning.

So instead I ponder the things in life I might just be able to figure out. Like why the number "33" is on the back of a bottle of Rolling Rock beer? That is not an impossible question to answer, it certainly isn't one of the great mysteries of life like say, what makes woman tick.

After all beer is made by human beings, unlike women who, depending on your beliefs were either made by God or descended from an ape, either explanation is certainly plausible and since one can not get into the heads of either God or apes, it is no big leap to assume this is why man can't understand women.

But a beer label is different. The "33" didn't just appear there. Someone had to have put it there and since Rolling Rock beer was first brewed in 1939 before the whole woman's lib thing, it can be assumed it was placed there by a man. So what exactly does it mean?

So after doing tons of research on the matter, the matter of the "33" not on what makes women tick, I gave up on that a long, long time ago, I can only come up with one conclusion. No one knows. There are theories out there galore. Some say it was the year prohibition ended, some say it is the number of words in the slogan on the bottle, some say it was a printer's mistake and there are many others. None of which can be proved or disproved. (Rolling Rock Website)

But then, why would want to prove conclusively why the "33" is there, after all if we didn't have that to ponder as we sat at a bar in the wee hours of the morning, what else would we try to figure out? Women?

2 comments:

  1. Must be nice to spend a summer's afternoon thinking about the meaning of '33' on a bottle of Rolling Rock! Hope you had an enjoyable holiday (though saying that now seems redundant!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did and it is. On those days like yesterday I realize that no matter what happens, life isn't so bad after all.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my blog and I appreciate your comments.