Sunday, June 13, 2010

When did everyone get so old?

As I sit here in the little house on the lake, on a grey and dreary day, I am thinking about life in general. Sometimes I wonder where it has gone. Today we are heading to a surprise birthday party for my youngest cousin, she is turning 50. Seems like just yesterday she was 49.

As anyone who knows me or reads this blog knows, I do tend to get nostalgic at times. I remember back to when I was a kid and the summers here on the lake and sometimes I wish life was still that simple. But was it really?

We would have family gatherings here and if all the grandchildren were here, there were 26 of us, it was a handful to say the least. Some of us would be swimming, some water skiing, some playing tennis, some of us tied to trees, our parents would need alot of eyes (and patience). But then times were different then. We looked out for each other, plus there were no worries about "stranger danger" back then. Oh, I am sure it happened but you certainly never heard about it. Maybe it was good you didn't, maybe that is why we were so carefree back then, we didn't know any better? And I admit up here we were pretty much in our own little world, the family pretty much owned this whole section of the lake, my Dad was here, my uncles to the left and right so it would have been pretty tough for a stranger to get here without being noticed.

But even in the "winter" neighborhood, which was "downtown" our parents didn't need to worry. The neighborhood was full of kids all the same age, we were all friends, and no matter where we were there was a parent around watching us. Sometimes maybe watching us a little too closely. But then most of the mothers didn't work, they were housewives, or if I want to be politically correct, stay-at-home-moms. It was always nice to know someone would be at home waiting for you when we got home from school (and yes we walked a mile to school every day, but no, it wasn't up hill both ways). And we had discipline and respect taught to us, which considering how things seem to be wasn't such a bad thing. (see my other blog here).

But anyway... back to the party. The worst thing about attending these events, is it always amazes me how everyone but me has gotten so old.

2 comments:

  1. Sometimes nostalgia comes with a slight aftertaste. And sure, there was prolly stranger danger but the news cycle wasn't screeching about it 24/7. When I think of some of the things that my Mom let us do as children maybe 30 years ago, they would have taken us for foster care!

    But without her letting us explore as we did, I'd not have traveled far and wide and neither would my sisters, who live their adult lives far from where their lives started...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are right about the 24/7. Maybe sometimes ignornace is bliss? And it is good to explore, instead of sitting in front of a video game or computer, it is good to get out and see the world.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my blog and I appreciate your comments.