Sunday, November 9, 2008

Another Myth Exploded

I always remember hearing how if you ever wanted to find a good place to eat you should look for where all the trucks are parked. Truck drivers always know the best places to eat. Well I hate to do this but I am going to explode this myth right now.

You see since I have been driving a truck I have learned that where truck drivers eat is more predicated on one thing more than any other, can they park their truck at the diner, restaurant, Burger King, etc. I love to eat at diners, local diners, especially breakfast, but all too often I have to forego a diner because there just isn’t room to park, and I only drive a smaller truck. And it isn’t because there are too many other trucks there, it is because there just isn’t room to park. People just don’t like it when you take up all the room in the lot with your truck. Or worse than that when you park in the street or on the sidewalk, not that I would ever park on the sidewalk just to get some corned beef hash and eggs over easy. See when you park on the sidewalk, the problem isn’t so much that people can’t walk by the truck, hell they can walk around you, it’s just that there are parking meters and fire hydrants that tend to get run over and they can really tear the hell out of the bottom of the truck.

Sometimes you can try to back along side the diner, which is ok unless there is a dumpster stuck there. The ones that are really a pain are the ones that are kind of hidden along the side of the building. Sometimes there is just a piece of the corner sticking out and you should see what this can do to the side of the truck when it jumps out at you and grabs you. Not that I would know. The other problem with alleys is there always tends to be low hanging wires. Well, only for a short time anyway, then they aren’t hanging anymore. Which presents a whole different set of problems. Seems when there are no wires there is no electricity and therefore no way to cook the eggs and hash, so this kind of defeats the purpose.
So the next time you are looking for a good place to eat, remember, don’t go where the trucks are, they are only there because there is no place else for them to go. But, if you do go there, look out for downed wires, broken meters or moving dumpsters

4 comments:

  1. I also like eating in diners but it's been a while since I've seen one.

    I'm originally from Boston but live in Florida now.

    Rose

    ReplyDelete
  2. cute entry; maybe we should also look for signs that say "truckers welcome here; plenty of room to park your rig" (I've seen them at some places along highway 5 in California

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny you say that about truckers and diners ... when I was still boxing in the hinterlands and in the cornfields, whoever I would ride with would say that about truckers, and I would speed along ...

    I have never found that saying to be true.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think maybe that used to be true once upon a time, and I'm sorry that it isn't true now. I do like finding a little diner-type place that has good food and good service.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my blog and I appreciate your comments.