Sunday, October 12, 2008

Fall Wanderings

It’s a beautiful fall day here at the little house on the lake, a beautiful blue sky, the leaves are turning, warm outside, a great day to be outside. So why am I sitting here writing? I promise as soon as I am done I will begin my chores.

I always get a little depressed this time of year. I love fall actually, well except for the fact that it is followed by winter, but I always tend to think of all the things I wanted to do this summer, and didn’t. It was a tough summer here this year. The best part of it, and it certainly was a big part, was that Tonya came into my life in the spring and she has made my life worth living. But there were a lot of financial issues this summer, Tonya had to miss work because of her back and even my working seven days a week wasn’t enough to make up the difference. So now we are behind and I am not sure if we will catch up. I have been thinking of selling the little house on the lake, it would make things easier, but even on that I am having second thoughts, I am not sure it will sell. For the same reasons I feel the need to get rid of it are the reasons I don’t think it will sell. The house itself needs a lot of work, work I can’t afford to do and with the current financial crisis, I am not sure anyone else will want to spend the money on it.

This whole financial thing really makes me angry. We now have to government bailing out banks and Wall Street for their bad practices. Why should my tax dollars go to bail out someone else who was not responsible enough to manage their own money? If you want to lend money to someone who can’t afford to pay you back then shame on you, you figure it out on your own. It is not my responsibility to fund your responsibility.

At least my financial problems are my own doing. I know what I did wrong. Yes I have a high credit card debt, but it is not because I purchased things I didn’t need. I used these cards to pay off bad business decisions and back taxes. I don’t have any toys, I don’t have a big screen television, I don’t have new furniture. But those who do expect me to pay for their mistakes. You could say I don’t have a heart, that I should be more caring and if it was me I would have a different view, but no, I do care but again, if it your irresponsibility that it is your job to fix it, not mine. My daughter has lost her house and they are now living out of a camper because of their fiscal irresponsibility, I wish I could help them, but I can’t and I am not sure I would, they will only make the same mistakes again.

When did people confuse wants and needs? We have made it so easy for people to get credit, they can now buy things they want even if they don’t need it. Do I want things? Sure, I would love some toys, but I also know I don’t need them. I can be happy with very little. All I need is a roof and my Tonya, and I can do without the roof if I need to.

Well I am not sure how I wandered from fall to “wants and needs” but then this is the beauty of writing here. You can wander around and no one really cares. Or maybe I am just avoiding those chores.

2 comments:

  1. hi; I used to follow your blog over on AOL and then I had to cutback on some blogs, but now over on Blogger its a lot easier to maintain blogs for some reason so I find your blog here from a comment you left on Mark's (stars of grain) blog

    I'm sorry the summer was rough financially; I'm glad your lady friend is still there, I know when I followed it before some parts were rocky at that time; you got priorities right in relationships over possessions; I think you'll make the right decision about whether to sell your house or not

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  2. As long as you and Tonya keep it together and keep it moving ... making sure that you are each others top priority, you have the best chance to pull off EVERYTHING, even the things that seem too hard to pull off.

    The house, riding out this fiancial mess, everything, begins with you and her ... keep THAT together, and keep THAT moving, and everything will work out fine.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my blog and I appreciate your comments.